If you want to create multiple products at once, for example if you are migrating them from another platform onto the Editor, you can import them using an Excel XSLX file. It is also possible to export a complete product inventory of your existing products.
Follow these steps:
- Importing external products
- Exporting all of your existing products
- Download XSLX file example
- Fill in product information
By clicking on the Import and export button, a new menu will cover the main area of the editor. To import your product(s), drag your XLSX file to the highlighted area or select it from your computer by clicking on Add XLSX File.
Once you've uploaded your file, the overlay will show you the amount of products you're about to upload. Start your import, and when finished, a dialogue message will tell you how many new products were uploaded successfully and if there were any issues with the data upload.
Exporting all your existing products
If you want to create an XSLX file containing all your products, click on the Generate XLSX file button on the Import and export overlay to generate a file with your current product list. An Excel file by default named 'export' will automatically start downloading.
Download XLSX file example
In order to retrieve a template XLSX file for you to fill in and then import in the Editor, download the file provided by clicking on the Download XLSX file example button on the overlay.
Fill in your product information
In the file, the first row contains all the headings of the data that can be filled in. It's important that you don't edit this row as it will interfere with the data upload. You can start filling in product data from the second row, and do so as shown in the example below. Each row is the equivalent of one customer's data.
Here are a few helpful pointers for filling in the XLSX file:
- Product ID: Each product has a different product ID while variants of a product share the same Product ID. If the Product ID is left blank, the Editor will automatically assign the product a new ID. You can fill in the cell with any number of your choice. For example, if you are selling t-shirts in multiple colors, each variant of the t-shirt must have the same Product ID - otherwise the Editor would create individual products for each color.
- Active: The second column refers to the visibility of the product. Simply type down '1' in case you want to make your product visible on the catalog or '0' if you wish for it to be hidden.
Please note that if this field is left blank, the products will be hidden and you'll have to manually make them visible.
- SKU: Here you can add a Stock Keep Unit (SKU).
- The Option Identity refers to a unique number associated with each product. When you first create the product, you can leave it blank however this field is extremely useful if in the future you wish to modify your product variants through a XLSX file without adding them again.
- Tags: Product tags help you categorize your products and make it possible to show only certain types of products on your website. Separate multiple tags by a semicolon.
- Quantity: add the available number of products for sale.
- Images: To attach an image to your product and its variants, all you must do is type down the complete name of the image file you want to display - including the file extension, e.g 'imagename.jpg'. The editor will automatically associate an image with the same name from the File Manager. This means you must manually upload the relevant images to your File Manager before importing your products. In case you wish to upload more than one picture for each variant, separate the image names using a semicolon.
- Shipping details: You can set different shipping details. The shipping weight should be added in grams while its height, length and depth should be added in centimetres.
- Add a product name and description into the dedicated columns. Make your product easier for customers to find on the web in filling in the SEO-related fields such as SEO title, SEO description and SEO keywords. If the fields SEO title and SEO description are left blank, your product name and description will automatically be copied over. In case your website supports different languages, you will need to fill in the field for each of the languages.
- Attribute label & value: If your product comes, for example, in different sizes and colors, the attribute labels refer to the Variation Labels while the attribute value refers to the variant options. For example, your t-shirt is sold in Small, Medium and Large and in the colors Red, Yellow and Blue. All nine combinations must be added as separate variants in the document. You would start with the attribute label 1 color and value red and attribute label 2 size with value Small. In the next line, you would have to add the attribute label 1 color and value red and attribute label 2 size with value Medium and so on. If you haven’t previously defined variation labels or options, the editor will automatically add them once you have uploaded the file. In case your product has no variants, leave both fields blank.
- Price: If your website supports different currencies, you must add the price in each currency. Note that prices should be entered excluding tax/VAT.